April 28, 2010

Visiting

Visiting_Fin
Getting the chance to illustrate short fiction has been such a pleasure that I'm actually starting to feel a tiny bit guilty about it. I received an assignment from the Atlantic last month for a piece by Stuart Nadler entitled "Visiting" which, after reading, had already conjured such an atmospheric picture of this quiet, slightly suffocating afternoon trip by a father and his estranged son that I really just felt like I was reporting sketches from the scene.

Below are the idea sketches mocked up on the page to see how they fit with the spread, and the finished piece above was done with ink and wash and then colored digitally, and should be available now on stands in the Atlantic's annual fiction issue. Thanks to Melissa Bluey for making it such an enjoyable project.

Visiting_sketches

7 comments:

alex fine illustration said...

That branch in the foreground really makes this illustration for me, it adds a lot of depth!

Vita said...

EXCELLENT treatment of the moisture! I think my hair curled a little bit just looking at this!

Unknown said...

Owen, one of the things I really enjoy about your work is the freedom you give the viewer and the respect you give the writer. By suggesting rather than dictating, you allow us each to add to the experience.

Shannon Freshwater said...

Beautiful Owen! I can almost hear the raindrops.

Anon said...

bitchin' capture of light, dude.

Matt E Wood said...

The mood is just right and the anxiety of the situation comes through strong.

J said...

Wow, that image is amazing. Beautiful textures.